Single Review: Charonyi Ni Wasi - Maroon Commandos


ZiKi Rating:
«««««

Written by Maroon Commandos' Habel Kifoto in 1977 in Taita language, Charonyi Ni Wasi literally means "life is hard". The song's message is in keeping with the tradition of the Sixties as it focuses on work immigrants new to the city, who were keen to remain connected to their rural homes. Charonyi Ni Wasi also demystifies the idea that the city is a place of endless good times, by revealing urban poverty and the high cost of living. This powerful arrangement features Kifoto's soaring vocals, accompanied by David Kibe on saxophone and Joshua Ogoma on trumpet. Its strong drum and percussion sequence and blaring trumpet are what make Charonyi Ni Wasi stick in your mind the very first time you hear it.


Single Review: Charonyi Ni Wasi - Maroon CommandosSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

20 comments:

  1. Its a great so i loved ever since i was a small boy while growing up to a gentleman.I still love up to date, its one of my all time favourite.#proudlykenyan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song is still hit even though it wa sang long ago before I was born

    ReplyDelete
  3. The song is still hit even though it wa sang long ago before I was born

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im listening to it right now. 21-03-2019. 09:16 p.m

    Charonyi ni washing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still on it 01/03/2022. Still a hit

      Delete
    2. Listening to the masterpiece for the first time 04/09/2023 9.25am

      Delete
  5. It's an all time hit,I love it to my nerves. Proudly Kenyan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great song. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember this alot of nostalgia when i was in primary school and could come home after school hungry in the rural area only to find our cat sleeping at the fire place....no food, torn uniform, and no certainty of tomorrow,,,,huu wimbo kutoka VOK by then early 80s could sooth my hunger pangs.... Mungu ni Mkuu... tumetoka mbali. Habel Kifoto...hoiyeee...still a hit even today..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very similar memories, hahaha. For me it was in the nineties and still live the so much. Thanks for making me laugh so hard because of bare truths very common.

      Delete
  8. One of my favourite songs till date I still listen to it over n over#charonyiniwasi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a huge sense of africanicity

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an economic song that has a tune of a love song

    ReplyDelete
  11. It always hits different

    ReplyDelete
  12. This song was a bit during my primary school days. I didn't actually know title.....God is great.

    ReplyDelete

Submit your comments here: